The ‘Gravity gun’ from the game “Half Life 2” recreated in Blender
click on the image above for the final render 😉
Something new from me!
I played a lot Half Life 2 the last weeks, so i decided to recreate the lovely physics gun i frequently used in this game.
Because of the lack of detail in the lowpoly version of this game model, i had to think about a lot of details, which were just plain textures in the game. So the whole model is a free interpretation of the actual game model.
So here is a rough overview over the workflow:
1. I researched for similiar projects, i wanted to see if someone else ever modeled this weapon and of course someone did! I found a nice WIP blog post about a handmade gravity gun, a real model.
I used this progress images as reference, but i fixed some flaws in the design and made it fit to the ingame model.
2. Modeling, the most fun, i did not used subsurf, just hard surface modeling tools. The cables were made with a curve converted to a mesh.
3. Texturing: I followed a nice texturing tutorial i found on the polycount forums, check it out to understand how the painting works. I changed the workflow a bit, because i just do own The Gimp, which was doing the job too. I skipped the creating a specular map part also, because i did not create these textures, because i wanted to save memory on my GPU.
4. Shading: A lot of new stuff for me, i didnt created a good working metal material in Cycles before. Here is the node setup for you, they will show you how i extracted a specular/bumpmap out of the single col texture. For the glowing metal i used a glowmap.
5. Rendering: After setting up the materials (click -> here <- for a model only rendering) i started setting up a environment. I experimented with adding a metal floor, but the experiments failed 😀 A simple stone floor was enough, because the angle ov view is very flat. I modeled a few small stones to get a bit structure and pasted them on the ground. A few pipes in the background an the environment was ready.
6. Lighning: The trick part. At first i wanted a night scene, with the glowing gun in the center, but the mood was a way to cold to fit in the mood of the HL2 games. I added simply a strong sunlight from the right and dimmed the bluish “moonlight” down, you can still spot the light on the upper parts of the gun.
Here is the german WIP thread: click
That was all, i will attach some images for you below 😉