A Casio Calculator [Cycles]
So here is the small making of of my latest project, a simple calculator just for testing the new offical introduced renderer in Blender, named Cycles.
At first i took a photo of the calculator, i used the Canon Eos 550D with a tele objective to get as close as possible without having a perspective in the image, like the ortographic view in blender.
The texture has a resolution of 2600x4500px so its huge, great for the details 😉 On the left handside you can see the whole image, on the right you can see a detail in fullsize.
Then i started the simple modeling of this object, nothing spectacular. I used the texture as background image to get the proportions right. I used subsurf to get the edges smooth, but the modeling was not that clean, because a lot of the object are flat, so triangles would not show up, it was just eaysier to work with them.
After finishing the modeling in about 1-2 hours I uv mapped the texture on the model via “project from view”. the buttons had to be relocated on the uv map, because they would have looked bad with this projection technique. I scaled them a bit down, to not get the borders from the picture on the buttons, I also scaled the last loop of their uv map down to get rid of the projection streaks on each sides of the buttons.
After uvmapping I started the Cycles render engine in Blender and loaded a environment map into the scene, the exr. can be found on this site, it is called “dining room”
Then i started getting used to the materials, i used a glossy material at first, cause the calculator reflects a bit light in the reality and a matte material would have been to flat.
I used my colourmap for all other effects on the material (spec-/displacementmap[bumpmap?]), i just changed the settings of the texture via nodes to get a higher contrast or a lesser value, so the “hue saturation” nodes are there to control the influence of the texture on the material. And i was happy to see, that cycles could work with that trick quite good. I got a nice displace(bump?) effect on the material, so the whole material got a nice depth. The material node setup can be seen below.
Then the image was nearly done, at last i added via the camera settings a depth of field effect, it just looks very well when you use it for small objects like my calculator 🙂
I rendered the image on my gtx 470 in about 15 minutes (10 000 samples), so cycles is pretty fast. I added in gim a light vigniette and the light chromatic abberation was done via the normal scene nodes in blender. Then it was done, short project for testing cycles and getting used to the workflow. I relly like the speed of Cycles, you can see the material changes nearly in realtime, when you have a very small preview image in Blender.
This was the small making of, i hope you learned something, at least you have a new source for hdri maps!